Artisan Cheddar and Salmon Pastry Bites
1. Roll out the pastry to an approximate 25cm x 10cm rectangle. Sprinkle the top 2/3 of the pastry with the grated cheese. Fold the bottom third up to cover the middle third and then fold the top third over this. Turn the pastry a quarter turn. This incorporates a cheese layer to the puff pastry.
2. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut into 5cm squares. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the egg glaze.
3. Thinly slice the cheddar into similar size squares and top a piece on each pastry square.
4. Lightly sauté the shredded leek in the butter for 2 - 3 minutes to soften. Use half the lime to squeeze juice onto the leeks. Season well. Spoon leeks onto cheese covered pastries and top with strips of trout.
5. Place pastries on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Oven bake for 15-20 minutes at 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6 until the pastry is well risen and golden in colour and the cheese begins to ooze.
6. Garnish with thin slices of lime and serve whilst warm.
(Courtesy of the British Cheese Board)
Makes 24 Bites
350g/12oz Chilled puff pastry
75g/3oz Artisan Cheddar, grated Buy Cheese
1 Medium egg yolk, mixed with 1 tbsp water
110g/4oz Artisan Cheddar Buy
2 Medium size leeks, finely shredded into rounds
Good pinch Fresh grated nutmeg and ground black pepper
110g/4oz Chunky Salmon fillet, skinned and cut into thin strips
SEND SOMEONE YOU LOVE A CHEESE GIFT
They might just like it!
The Big Cheese
Get free Pong newsletters including new features, latest offers, recipes, competitions and more!