2 tbsp olive oil, plus a little for the dish
750g lean beef mince
90g pack prosciutto
200ml hot beef stock
a little grated nutmeg
300g pack fresh lasagne sheets
500ml whole milk
1 onion, halved
1 bay leaf
50g plain flour
How to make it
Traditional cheese lasagne is a classic mid-week dinner that can be frozen and reheated for easy access when you’re busy. A tasty cheddar such as Wookey Hole Cave Aged Cheddar. will add depth of flavour.
- Begin with the meat sauce. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and cook 750g lean beef mince in two batches for about 10 mins until browned all over.
- Finely chop 4 slices of prosciutto from a 90g pack, then stir through the meat mixture.
- Pour over 800g passata and 200ml hot beef stock. Add a little grated nutmeg, then season.
- Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins until the sauce looks rich.
- Make the white sauce by gently bringing 500ml whole milk to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Add 1 halved onion, studded with 1 bay leaf and 2 cloves.
- Turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 20 mins.
- Melt 50g butter in another saucepan, then add 50g plain flour.
- Stir continuously until a roux forms.
- Remove the onion, bay and cloves from the milk with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the infused milk to the roux gradually, stirring as you go, until you get a smooth sauce.
- Add 100g of grated Wookey Hole Cave Aged Cheddar.
- Cook for 5-10 mins, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
- Heat oven to 180C/fan/160C/gas 4 and lightly oil an ovenproof dish (about 30 x 20cm).
- Spoon one third of the meat sauce into the dish, then cover with some fresh lasagne sheets.
- Drizzle over roughly 130g of the white sauce.
- Repeat until you have 3 layers of pasta.
- Cover with the remaining 390g white sauce, making sure you can’t see any pasta poking through.
- Scatter 100g of the cheddar over the top.
- Arrange the rest of the prosciutto on top.
- Bake for 45 mins until the top is bubbling and lightly browned.
Serve this traditional cheese lasagne with a green salad and garlic bread.