250g Chaource, diced (with rind)
125ml full fat milk
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
100g caster sugar
75ml heavy cream
How to make it
Chaource has the perfect smooth consistency for a cheese ice cream and a creamy, luxurious depth of flavour to make all the hard work worthwhile. You will need an ice-cream maker for this recipe.
- Prep your ice-cream maker as per your instructions (for some, the canister or bowl needs to be in the freezer for 24 hours before using)
- The rind is edible (and delicious!) so include it in your ice cream!
- Place the Chaource, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt into a blender and pulse until smooth
- Transfer to a bowl and add the cream
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ice-cream maker, and leave on stir as per the instructions – usually around 30 minutes
- Once the mixture is at the correct consistency, remove the bowl and transfer the contents to a freezable storage container
- Freeze for another hour or two before serving
- Serve with berries, a compote or just as it is!
- For added glam, you could make parmesan baskets to hold each scoop of the cheese ice cream, topped with a berry and a sprig of mint
Many cheese make excellent ice-cream, in our opinion the more flavoursome the cheese the better. Try out the recipe with blue cheese, goats cheese or anything that’s oozy, and let us know how you get on!