- 1kg pumpkin
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150g Montgomery’s Cheddar
- 100g plain flour
- 1.2 litres semi-skimmed milk
- 500g dried macaroni
- 1 whole Broccoli
- Salt and pepper
How to make it
When the autumn arrives and pumpkins are in season, there’s nothing better thank luscious and creamy mac and cheese. Made with Montgomery’s Cheddar gives it extra richness and sharpness, and the broccoli adds texture.
- Core the pumpkin, cut into sections then peel
Chop into rough 2cm chunks and place on a large baking tray.
Drizzle the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Roast for 40-50 minutes or until golden and caramelised
Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic
Melt the butter in a large, deep pan over a medium heat, then add the onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Stir the flour into the onions and garlic
Whisk in the milk until the sauce is smooth and glossy
Finely grate all of the Montgomery’s Cheddar
Add two-thirds of the cheese to the pan, then season with salt and pepper.
Simmer until thickened
Boil the macaroni and broccoli in salted water, then drain
- Smash the cooked pumpkin up in the tray using a fork or spoon. Spoon into the cheese sauce and stir well
- Mix in the cooked pasta and broccoli then tip into a baking dish
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden