Recipe: Makes 6 Bath Soft Cheese Tarts
250g Bath Soft Cheese
1 Packet of Filo Pastry – you will need 4-5 sheets
100g Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
1/2 Jar Chilli Pickle
2-3tbsp Freshly Chopped Chives
1/2tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
How to make it
Crisp, crunchy, golden filo pastry encases a layer of chilli pickle, smothered in melting Bath Soft Cheese – these Bath Soft Chilli Tarts are perfect for parties.
Baking the chilli pickle and Bath Soft Cheese wakes up the flavours and when placed in a buttery, filo pastry tart, the result is a remarkably delicious dish.
Method: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan, gas mark 4
- Place 6 loose bottom tart tins on a baking tray.
- Brush each tart tin lightly with melted butter using a pastry brush.
- Place one filo pastry sheet on to a board or pastry mat. Brush lightly with melted butter.
- Using a sharp knife cut the filo pastry sheet into equal quarters and then cut each quarter in half, from top to bottom to make 8 squares/rectangles.
- Start by laying 1 square of filo pastry in the tart tin, gently pressing it so that it sticks to the base and the sides.
- Add another square of filo pastry, laying it slight offset from the first piece. The idea is to build up layers that form a solid tart shell with lots of edges/corners on the side, which will become golden and crisp on baking.
- Build up 5 layers of filo pastry to create a solid tart shell.
- Continue building the tart case until you have used 5 separate layers of filo pastry.
- When all 6 tart cases have been built, spoon 2 generous teaspoons of Chilli Pickle into the base of each one.
- Cut the block of Bath Soft Cheese into 6 portions.
- Place a square of cheese on top of Chilli Pickle in each tart case.
- Sprinkle the top of each tart with a little freshly ground black pepper and some freshly snipped chives – reserve half of the chives for garnish once baked.
- Place the Bath Soft Cheese Chilli Tarts in the top of the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
- The tarts are cooked when the filo pastry is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted to fill each tart.
- Once baked remove the baking tray from the oven and allow the tarts to cool for 10-15 minutes in their tins. Best served warm.
For the original recipe visit Feasting Is Fun.