500g vegetable broth
250g quinoa, well rinsed
500g broccoli florets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
250g Gorwydd Caerphilly
1 cup skimmed milk
1/2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 slices wholemeal bread
How to make it
This Caerphilly casserole is actually quite healthy, easy to make and tastes amazing! It serves 6-8 so you can serve it for dinner then have the rest for lunch the next day.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Fan / 400°F / Gas Mark 7
- Add the vegetable stock and quinoa to a saucepan and boil for around 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper then cover and leave to one side.
- Cut broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces. Toss with olive oil until lightly coats then place on a lined baking sheet and bake for around 15 mins, until the broccoli is tender
- Tear your bread into small pieces – leave like this for a more rustic look or blend them in a food processor until they are small crumbs for a more even texture
- In a frying pan, melt some butter and add the garlic (leave to slightly brown), then add the bread crumbs until they’re slightly browned and crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Reduce the oven to 180°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 6
- Pour the milk into the Quinoa saucepan and then add 2/3rds of the Gorwydd Caerphilly and mix.
- Pour the quinoa and cheese mixture into a baking dish, then top with the broccoli. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3rd of the Gorwydd Caerphilly, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
- Finish with a sprinkle of cheddar
- Bake the Caerphilly Casserole for around 25 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.