How to make it
This Rarebit recipe comes with a Somerset twist. It uses Somerset Cheddar and Bath Soft, both from the organic farm Bath Soft Cheese and featured in The Bath Organic Selection Box. This is a lovely dish to serve up as a light snack or as part of afternoon tea.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan oven) Gas Mark 4. Slice the french stick at a sharp angle into thin rounds. Brush both sides with melted butter and bake for 10-12 mins. Allow to cool a little.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Using the first egg, separate the yolk from the white. Mix, season and gently mash with half of the Bath Blue.
- With the second egg. separate the yolk from the white. Mix with mustard powder and chilli then gently mash with half of the cheddar chunks.
- Using the two mixtures, spread on the toasts. Using the left over cheese chunks and walnuts, sprinkle over the toasts.
- Place under the grill until bubbling and golden.
- Cool, and serve with a garnish of chives.