230g Stinking Bishop
2kg white potatoes
250ml whole milk
1 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, chopped in half
How to make it
Cheese gratin is already dreamy, so paired with gorgeously creamy and sweet Stinking Bishop takes this Gratin to a whole new level. Stinking Bishop Gratin is great with loads of dishes, but particularly good with lamb.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4
- Peel the potatoes then finely slice them as evenly as possible
- Rinse the potato slices with cold water
- Spread the slices out on a clean tea towel and pat dry
- Lightly season with salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the milk and cream to the boil, then simmer
- Add the potato slices and stir gently
- Rub butter around a shallow ovenproof dish
- Rub the garlic clove around the dish
- Transfer 1/3 of the potatoes into the prepared dish and spread out evenly.
- Top with a half of the sliced Stinking Bishop
- Repeat with another layer of potatoes, and another layer of cheese
- Finish with a potato layer
- Pour over the remaining milk from the saucepan
- Bake for 1 & 1⁄4 hours
- Let the gratin rest for 10 minutes before serving
Don’t let the name put you off this wonderful recipe – Stinking Bishop is an incredibly special cheese that everyone should try once in their lives. This wonderful tart is a recipe people will be asking you to make it time and time again…
Earthy mushrooms, moreish linguine and sweet (and extremely pongy!) Stinking Bishop are the core components of this delicious dish.
This rich and filling three cheese Salami Gratin is a meal in itself – ideal for a cold winters night, and uses the very best of our Alpine cheeses – Comté and Gruyère. Serve with a crisp green salad.