1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, sliced into long strips
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 large slices of sour dough or focaccia
How to make it
Delicate and creamy goat’s cheese, paired with sweet caramelised red onion, is a simply wonderful flavour combination and perfect on toast for a snack or light supper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan on a low heat
- Add the red onion slices until they begin to soften (around 5 minutes)
- Add the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and mix to ensure the onions get lightly coated
- Cook for another 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Under a medium grill, toast your bread
- Drizzle with olive oil
- When the onions are done, spread on the toast
- Slice the goats’ cheese in half and place the exposed cheese upwards, on top of the caramelised onion
- Place under the medium grill for around 5 minutes, or until the top of the cheese is brown and a bit crispy
- To make it more of a meal serve with a side salad dressed with balsamic vinegar.
Find our full range of Goats’ Cheese here.
If red onion isn’t your thing and you’re looking for a different goat’s cheese sandwich variation, try our Beetroot, Goats Cheese and Chilli Jam Grilled Sandwich – click for full recipe.
Made too many caramelised red onions? Use them in our Perl Las Blue and Red Onion Tart.