1 small pumpkin
6 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp light brown sugar
200g baby spinach
100g Roquefort AOC
Salt and pepper
How to make it
Pumpkin is a hugely underrated squash, but the sweetness combines delightfully with the salty blue cheese. Serve this pumpkin and Roquefort salad warm with walnuts for a delicious lunch.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C Fan / 400°F / Gas Mark 7
- Halve and deseed the pumpkin. Peel and cut into 1 in cubes
- Place on a roasting tin and drizzle over 2 tbsp oil, season then toss until evenly coated
- Roast for 35-40 mins until tender
- Toss the walnuts in oil, then roast for 10 mins until they get some colour
- Make the dressing by combining 4 tbsp oil with vinegar, syrup, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper
- Whisk until combined
- When the pumpkin is cooked, tip into the dressing until coated
- Chop the Roquefort into chunks
- Serve the pumpkin and Roquefort salad on a bed of spinach leaves, with walnuts scattered on top
Roquefort is salty, strong, silky and sweet. It’s from the ancient caves in a village called Roquefort-sur-Soulzon, near Millau in South West France.
For other salad recipes, try this Roasted Tomato, Pasta and Goat’s Cheese Salad or Blue Cheese Soufflés with Pickled Cherry and Hazelnut Salad.