Handful of black olives
85g Cheddar (try Wookey Hole Cave Aged Cheddar)
500g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
110g Reblochon AOC, cubed
handful freshly chopped herbs
40g butter, melted
1 large egg
175ml crème fraîche
How to make it
Reblochon AOC has a wonderful creamy nutty taste which works incredibly well in a loaf, especially alongside salty olives. This is a very versatile recipe, you could add bacon lardons, mushrooms, herbs, anything you like really! It’s a great ‘cake’ for those not keen on sweet treats.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4.
- Grease a loaf tin and sprinkle grated cheddar evenly over the base
- Rinse your olives then pit, dry and chop coarsely
- Mix in a bowl the flour, baking powder, seasoning, Reblochon, herbs and olives
- In another bowl or jug whisk up milk, melted butter, egg and crème fraîche
- fold the wet mixture into the dry using a spatula until just mixed, still thick and sticky – stop when it’s just combined
- Turn the mixture into the loaf tin and sprinkle more grated cheddar over the top
- Bake for approx 45 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean (be aware that there will always be runny cheese on the skewer)
- Cool for 10 mins and serve warm.